NEW ECONOMY PROJECT JOB POSTING
New Economy Project is hiring a Staff Attorney to work on cutting-edge legal advocacy that advances racial and economic justice in New York City. The Staff Attorney will work closely with low-income New Yorkers and grassroots groups to challenge Wall Street banks and other corporations that extract wealth from Black, brown, and immigrant communities, including through our financial justice hotline, impact litigation, and policy advocacy.
New Economy Project works with community groups to build an economy that works for all, based on racial and gender justice, cooperation, neighborhood equity, and ecological sustainability. We combine legal and policy advocacy, research, popular education, coalition-building, and other strategies in our work. A citywide organization, we work closely with neighborhood groups to build worker and financial cooperatives, community land trusts, public banks, and other institutions that build power and community wealth; and to fight systemic racism in our financial system and economy.
The Staff Attorney will work on a broad range of cases and projects, including:
- Providing brief services and pro se assistance through our NYC Financial Justice Hotline, which serves low-income New Yorkers and community groups
- Working on groundbreaking impact litigation that addresses systemic racial discrimination and wealth extraction by Wall Street banks, debt buyers, and others
- Working with city- and state-wide coalitions to advocate for bold policy change, and conducting legal and policy research, media advocacy, and other strategic activities
- Engaging community groups and hotline callers in legal and policy advocacy, including in coalitions and campaigns that New Economy Project coordinates
- Representing the organization at state and local legislative hearings, in meetings with elected officials and other policymakers, and at community forums
- Contributing to strategic communications, including preparing know-your-rights material, hotline case examples, and “New Yorkers Speak Out” testimonials
- Participating in organizational strategic planning, legal and policy advocacy training, and other professional development opportunities
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Demonstrated commitment to racial and economic justice, community organizing, and social change lawyering
- Commitment to supporting and taking lead from directly-affected people and communities to build long-term power and effect change
- One to three years’ experience at a public interest law organization or similar setting
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent writing, research, and analytical skills, and attention to detail
- Ability to take initiative and effectively manage multiple assignments
- Experience working with community groups and people of diverse backgrounds
- Admission to the New York State bar
- Fluency in Spanish a major plus
Salary is competitive with NYC public interest law organizations and commensurate with experience, with an expected annual salary between $68,000 and $78,000. New Economy Project offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes health, dental, and vision insurance, 403(b) and flexible spending plans, and generous paid-time off.
The position is based in NYC. Staff members are currently working remotely. We expect to return to hybrid work in the coming months. Full vaccination is required for all employees.
Please submit your resume and a brief cover letter as one pdf document to: firstname.lastname@example.org, with “Staff Attorney” in the subject line. Indicate in your cover letter your interest and qualifications in the position, and how you learned about the position.
New Economy Project is an Equal Opportunity employer committed to a diverse workplace, and to providing staff with ongoing professional development opportunities. We encourage people of color, women, people with disabilities, LGBTQ candidates, immigrants, and people from low-income backgrounds to apply.