New Economy Project’s hotline provides free information, legal advice and referrals to community groups and low income NYC residents.
212-925-4929 (or click here to request assistance online)
The hotline is staffed in English and Spanish, with live interpretation available in many other languages.
Our outreach and know-your-rights material is available in:
Stay tuned for translated material in many more languages — coming soon!
Financial Justice Issues Covered by the Hotline
New Economy Project’s hotline advises low income NYC residents on a range of financial justice issues, including:
- Problems opening or maintaining a bank account
- Unfair bank fees or other unfair bank practices
- Payday loans, check cashers, pawn shops
- Abusive debt collection practices
- Problems related to your credit report
- Prepaid debit cards, payroll cards
- Credit checks by employers
- Sending money home (remittances)
Not Covered by the Hotline
The hotline does NOT provide information on:
- Foreclosure Prevention
- Small Claims Court
- Debt Consolidation
The hotline is available to low income NYC residents and community groups only. If you are from outside NYC, please do not call the hotline. Visit www.lawhelp.org or www.consumeradvocates.org for referrals to free or low-cost legal services in your area.
*A copy of New Economy Project’s grievance procedure is available upon request.