|Did you find this information useful? Please consider making a small donation to help us keep these resources up-to-date. Click here to donate, and thank you!|
Click on the links below to learn about your rights under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, including how to recognize and fight back against debt collection abuse.
- Debt Collection Basics
- Your Rights Under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA)
- Your Rights Against Debt Collectors Under NYC Law
- Disputing the Debt
- Recognizing Debt Collection Abuse
- Negotiating with Debt Collectors
- What is Exempt from Debt Collection?
Use these sample letters to dispute a debt and get debt collectors off your back!
- Sample Debt Collection Dispute Letter for NYC Residents (PDF)
- Sample Cease Letter (PDF)
- Sample Collection Communications Log (by Minnesota attorney Pete Barry)