NEW ECONOMY PROJECT JOB POSTING
Public Bank Campaign Organizer
Posted on: June 17, 2021
New Economy Project works with community groups to build an economy that works for all New Yorkers, rooted in racial and gender justice, cooperation, and ecological sustainability. Founded in 1995, New Economy Project organizes coalitions and campaigns that challenge systemic racism in our financial services system and economy; and advance cooperative and community-led development through community land trusts, public banking, and other strategies. We engage in cutting-edge legal advocacy, through our NYC Financial Justice Hotline, impact litigation, policy advocacy, and community know-your-rights education.
New Economy Project has an immediate opening for a Public Bank Campaign Organizer. This is an exciting opportunity to contribute to the growing movement for economic democracy and racial justice in New York City. The campaign organizer will coordinate a dynamic citywide coalition and campaign to advance public banking in New York. Through a public bank, NYC can divest public money from predatory Wall Street banks and invest, instead, in cooperative and community-led development in Black, brown and immigrant neighborhoods.
- Coalition-building, including outreach, recruitment, and ongoing engagement with community, labor, racial and climate justice, and cooperative organizations
- Facilitating coalition membership meetings, press actions, and other activities
- Developing effective policy advocacy, popular education, and communications strategies
- Representing the organization in meetings with city and state policymakers, at legislative hearings and public forums, with media, and in other spaces
- Coordinating presentations on public banking for members of community-based organizations and other constituencies
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Demonstrated commitment to racial, economic, and gender justice, and transformational change
- At least five years of experience working on progressive community, labor, electoral, or other campaigns
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and an ability to work effectively across racial, gender, and other identities
- Outstanding writing and communication skills and excellent attention to detail
- Familiarity with New York City and State policy landscape a plus
- Fluency in Spanish a plus
We will consider a candidate’s full range of educational, professional, and life experience. We do not require that candidates possess any specific degrees or levels of formal educational attainment.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience, with an expected annual salary range between $60,000 and $70,000. New Economy Project offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes health, dental, and vision insurance, 403(b) plan, flexible spending plan, and generous paid-time off.
The position is based in NYC. Staff members are currently working remotely.
Please submit your resume and a brief cover letter as one pdf document to: firstname.lastname@example.org, with “Public Bank Campaign Organizer” in the subject line. Indicate in your cover letter your interest in and qualifications for this position.
New Economy Project is an Equal Opportunity employer committed to a diverse workplace, and to providing staff with ongoing professional development opportunities. We encourage people of color, women, people with disabilities, LGBTQ candidates, immigrants, and people from low-income backgrounds to apply.