New Economy Project is currently accepting legal intern applications for Summer 2023. Legal interns contribute to economic justice campaigns to achieve systemic change, including through the organization’s direct legal services and impact litigation, policy advocacy, and communications.
Based in New York City, New Economy Project’s mission is to build an economy that works for all, rooted in racial justice, cooperation, neighborhood equity, and ecological sustainability. We combine coalition-building, communications, legal and policy advocacy, community and popular education, applied research, and other strategies in our work. A city-wide organization, we work closely with neighborhood groups to advance community land trusts, public banking, financial and worker cooperatives, and other institutions that build power and community wealth in Black, brown, and immigrant neighborhoods.
Working in a collaborative environment, legal interns gain direct exposure to an array of advocacy and organizing strategies and typically work on a range of projects, such as:
- Staffing our financial justice legal hotline for low-income New Yorkers;
- Completing legal research and writing to advance our litigation and policy campaigns;
- Conducting comparative policy and legal research relating to community land trusts, public banking, community development financial institutions, predatory payday lending, and more;
- Participating in coalition strategy sessions, public actions, and other activities;
- Facilitating know-your-rights workshops and community legal clinics for grassroots groups and their members; and
- Drafting administrative complaints, filed with city, state, and federal regulatory agencies.
The summer internship is a full-time (35 hours/week) program that pays $15 per hour to students who do not otherwise have access to internship funding. Students are strongly encouraged to apply for grants from their school or other sources.
Please note that the summer 2023 legal internship will likely involve a combination of remote and in-person work, as conditions permit. Full COVID-19 vaccination is required.
To apply, email your resume and cover letter as one PDF to: email@example.com. We strongly encourage people of color, women, people with disabilities, LGBTQ candidates, immigrants, and people from low-income backgrounds to apply. Spanish-language fluency is a plus.
For more information, visit www.neweconomynyc.org.