New Economy Project seeks an energetic paralegal to work on cutting-edge legal advocacy that advances racial and economic justice in New York City. The paralegal will play a vital role working with low-income New Yorkers through our free legal assistance hotline, conducting know-your-rights workshops for community groups, and providing critical administrative support to our legal team.
New Economy Project works to build an economy that works for all, rooted in racial justice, cooperation, neighborhood equity, and ecological sustainability. We combine coalition-building, legal and policy advocacy, popular education, applied research, communications, and other strategies in our work. We work closely with neighborhood groups to advance community land trusts, public banking, financial and worker cooperatives, and other community-led institutions that build power and community wealth in Black, brown, and immigrant neighborhoods.
The paralegal’s core responsibilities will include:
- Staffing our NYC Financial Justice Hotline, a free legal assistance hotline for low-income New Yorkers
- Helping hotline callers amplify their stories, including through social media, testimonials, participation in coalition advocacy, and other strategies
- Conducting outreach to and leading community workshops for groups throughout New York City to promote our hotline and know-your-rights resources and workshops
- Creating know-your-rights material for community outreach sessions and our website
- Engaging community groups and their members in coalitions and campaigns
- Tracking and analyzing data for grant reporting, evaluation, and work planning
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
The ideal candidate will:
- Embrace New Economy Project’s vision, mission, and commitment to transformational change, racial justice, just transition, and economic democracy
- Be extremely organized and detail-oriented
- Possess strong writing, research, interpersonal communication and time-management skills
- Be fluent in Spanish
- Be able to work effectively across racial, gender, class and other identities
- Have a track record of working effectively with individuals and community groups
- Have prior experience as a community educator and/or in a public interest law environment
We will consider a candidate’s full range of educational, professional, and life experience. We do not require that candidates possess any specific degrees or levels of formal educational attainment.
Salary is competitive with NYC public interest law organizations and commensurate with experience, with an expected annual salary between $48,000 and $60,000. New Economy Project offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes health, dental, and vision insurance, 403(b) and flexible spending plans, and generous paid time off, including a three-month sabbatical after five years.
New Economy Project’s office is located in NYC. Most staff members currently work remotely. The position may require flexibility between in-office and remote work in the immediate term. Full COVID-19 vaccination is required for all staff.
Please submit your resume and a brief cover letter as one PDF document to: email@example.com, with “Paralegal” in the subject line. Indicate in your cover letter: (a) your interest in and qualifications for the position; (b) how you learned about this job posting; and (c) an area of our work you find especially compelling, and how it aligns with your values.
New Economy Project is an Equal Opportunity employer committed to a diverse workplace, and to providing staff with ongoing professional development opportunities. We actively recruit and encourage people of color, women, people with disabilities, LGBTQ people, immigrants, and people from low-income backgrounds to apply.