New Economy Project seeks an experienced Development Director to join our dynamic social justice organization. The Development Director will collaborate with staff to raise funds, build our identity with large donors, and expand our grassroots fundraising base.
Our mission is to build an economy that works for all, rooted in racial and social justice, cooperation, neighborhood equity, and ecological sustainability. Founded in 1995, New Economy Project has been at the forefront of financial justice advocacy and coalition organizing in NYC and NYS. We wage groundbreaking campaigns and organize effective coalitions to advance cooperative and community-led development, and challenge systemic discrimination that perpetuates poverty, segregation, and inequality.
We are hiring a Development Director to meet the needs of our growing organization, as we carry out ambitious campaigns in New York City and State that foreground racial and economic justice, community equity, and just transition. The Development Director will also help raise funds for our strategic legal advocacy, which includes bringing impact litigation and operating a free legal assistance hotline.
We seek candidates who are dedicated to racial justice, social justice, and climate justice, and who share our belief that another world is possible. The position provides tremendous opportunity for a strong writer and fundraising activist committed to systems change. We seek to fill this new position as soon as possible.
The Development Director’s primary responsibilities will include:
- Collaborating with leadership to identify funding priorities, enhance existing development efforts, and build out a dedicated fundraising team.
- Establishing relationships with prospective foundation and individual donors, and deepening existing relationships with our valued supporters.
- Preparing grant proposals and reports, and identifying new opportunities for support that align with our values.
- Working closely with our communications team to attract new donors and continue building out our donor base.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
The ideal candidate will:
- Embrace New Economy Project’s mission and commitment to transformational change, just transition, and social justice movement-building.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the role that racial inequity plays in our society and economy, and an ability to work effectively across racial, gender, and other identities.
- Have at least five years of successful fundraising experience with and for social justice organizations, with a successful track record of grant writing, grants management, and donor cultivation.
- Love writing and editing and possess top-notch communication skills.
- Work well with staff teams and independently, and enjoy and excel at relationship-building, with a sense of humor and strong people skills.
- Ably represent the organization in a range of settings.
- Be super organized and detail-oriented, and an innate multi-tasker and problem-solver.
- Have experience organizing fundraising briefings and special events.
We will consider a candidate’s full range of educational, professional, and life experience. We do not require that candidates possess any specific degrees or levels of formal educational attainment.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience, with an expected annual salary range between $75,000 and $90,000. New Economy Project offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes health, dental, and vision insurance, 403(b) plan, flexible spending plan, and generous paid-time off including a 3-month sabbatical after five years.
New Economy Project’s office is located in NYC. Staff members are currently working remotely. When the organization returns safely to the office, we will determine whether this position will continue to be remote or in person.
Email your resume and cover letter as one PDF document to firstname.lastname@example.org, with “Development Director” in the subject line. Indicate in your cover letter: (a) your qualifications for the position; (b) where or how you learned of this job posting; and (c) an area of our work you find especially compelling, and how it aligns with your values. Applicants who do not send a cover letter with the above requested information will not be considered.
New Economy Project is an Equal Opportunity employer and actively recruits people of color, women, people with disabilities, LGBTQ people, immigrants, and people from low-income backgrounds. We strongly encourage applications from people with lived experiences in the communities with which we work.